Thursday, July 16, 2009

Renate and Michael

This is Renate Long-Briepohl, one of our keynote speakers. I always love what Renate has to bring to us. It is always timely, and relevant to our ongoing issues in the kindergarten realm.

It was wonderful to listen to words on colour, beauty, play and music. I also love the connections she makes to current scientific research. In our world, it is no longer good enough just to 'feel' that a particular school is right for your child as many parents want 'proof' and security in knowing that their child will still succeed academically. There is a need to engage their 'thinking' in their choices, particularly to justify their choice to their wider social network and families. These connections to the world of current research and science make our work even more relevant in today's society. Michael Howard came to present to our group of Kindergarteners and by all accounts, was slightly nervous about the prospect. We, however, knew that he would bring something to Vital Years, and that was 'balance'. Helping us to engage our thinking, to ponder deeply the connections between artistic and scientific thinking and working.
I really enjoyed listening to his words and participating in the modelling workshop.




This is one of our rice drawings. I found this work fascinating.


Carving and modelling with clay, wood and beeswax also made me engage in another newer process, with a different viewpoint. I actually found myself 'becoming' a sculptor this week and that is something I would and could never have done before. My top is becoming more top-like as the week goes on, but there is still more work to do. I will pop it on my personal blog MamaMoontime Blog when it is done in a week or so...




No comments:

Post a Comment